Tuesday, January 04, 2011

news.

I've had to drive quite a bit for my job recently, and since I have no idea where the cord to play my ipod through the car speakers is, I've been listening to the news.

Some things are interesting, but mostly it makes me sad. Car crashes, shootings, obesity, bankruptcy... Many lives of people I've never met ending prematurely or being brought down by their troubles.

A couple of years ago, I feared terribly that I was losing my compassion. I'd seen and heard enough that I was hardening against it. I prayed and hoped fervently for it to be restored to me, and I would say it has. One reason listening to the news is so difficult.

Some news affecting someone I do know. The sweetest young man named Gunther has been coming to my church for the past three winters at least to work the ski season. He's from Bali. Recently, his family has been receiving a lot of trouble; their church has been shut down by local authorities. His entire family was arrested Christmas day for meeting on the sidewalk outside of the church. The only other update I've gotten was that the children were released a couple of days later. Pray for them. Or if that's not your thing, be thinking of them, that they'll be forgiving. Or even more so for their captors that they will be changed by the love of Gunther's family.

Anyway, let's spread a little love where we can, because we can. There's a lot of sadness that needs battling.

Love.

No comments: