Monday, January 03, 2011

firmness of purpose.



New Years Day, I was laying on my belly on the floor of my mother's house reading people's facebook statuses (statusi?) about their resolutions, and realizing that it was something I hadn't even thought about this year. First I thought, "I don't need any of those." Then I thought, "Wow... that's a little conceited, thinking you don't need to improve at all." Then I thought, "Hey, you little bully in my brain, I just meant that I'm always setting goals for myself anyway."

But then I've thought about it over the past couple days, and have actually come up with some "resolutions" or just some solid goals that have been floating around in my head for a while. Want to hear?

1. To not beat myself up when I don't accomplish everything I mean to. This isn't an attempt to make an easy out for myself so I don't have to try and acheive my goals, but an effort to appreciate myself for what I actually do, and to love myself when I fall short.

2. To read the entire Bible over the following year. The Word is so beautiful to me. I want to know it deeply.

3. To make a photography/art website. I'm not so great with computer things, though I'm learning. I didn't enter a scholarship competition because I don't have a website. I probably lose quite a bit of business because I don't have a website. Time to compile all my work in some easily accessible way.

4. To continue toward a healthier lifestyle. This year has been good. For my wedding, I lost about ten pounds of mostly fat that had moved in all around my body since high school. G and I moved down the street from some really affordable, local, healthy food. I've tried to cook whenever I have time from raw, whole, healthy ingredients. I even tried to get back into running at least half as much as I used to. All good things, but it can always be better right? I never run out of things to learn about health.

5. To blog more. I really do love collecting things that inspire me, and learning to express myself. Sure, it doesn't have to be done publicly, but I will say I've fallen in love with the blog community. Yay for internet! :)

6. To learn to use my sewing machine. It's been a year now since my mother gave me such a beautiful brand new sewing machine that does EVERYTHING. A year. It's so crazy to me that I still haven't used it. I think about it all the time, but perhaps it has just seemed too daunting of a task? I'm determined to not let it become like the dusty telescope I wanted so badly for Christmas as a child and then never used because it was too complicated for a young girl to figure out alone.

7. To (hopefully!!!!!!!!!!!) organize and set up a booth at the downtown Saturday market this summer selling photography, jewelry, and who knows what else. I've been thinking about it since last summer, and though it's intimidating and a little scary to me, it's something I want to try to do for myself. We'll see!

I think that's more than enough, haha :)

What are your goals?

Love.

No comments: