Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Positive Discipline

Ok, so after a lot of thinking about the new year, and trying to figure out whether to make a resolution or not, and what that resolution would be if I did, I've decided. I want this to be a year of discipline. I realized that I've never really practiced discipline before in my life, aside from when I played basketball and a few times when I made myself run more miles than I wanted to. But I want to be able to prove to myself that I can do all the things that I wish I could do or say I will do. So there it is. Discipline. For a year. I hope.

I've never been disciplined in my schoolwork. Ever. I've always gotten A's, but it's been through extreme amounts of stress and loss of sleep due to procrastinating till the very last moment. I've said several times that I'm going to start my projects right away to avoid this, but I'm not sure I've ever done it. So, I truly am. I want to start early and be done early, because excessive stress is never good, and 8 hours of sleep a night always is.

This area I'm very excited about. I've never been disciplined spiritually, and this kills me. I mean I've always gone to church and stuff, but the last time I remembered to pray every single night was when I was like twelve. I want more than anything to grow closer to God, and build such a strong relationship with Him that He is truly the very first in my life, and I dwell on Him constantly. So this year, and hopefully every year afterwards due to disciplining myself for a year, I will spend some time every day in His word and in prayer/meditation listening to Him.

Recently, I haven't been disciplined physically. I used to run and lift and all sorts of things, but it's very rare for me now, and I know that I'm happier when I exercise, so I don't understand why it's been so hard to force myself to. This year, I am going to stick to a workout schedule, like I did during my basketball years, and hopefully be disciplined enough during working out that I will be able to push myself.

I've never been disciplined in what I eat, and to be honest, it's never really been a problem as far as staying slim and everything. But I realized a couple years ago when I became a vegetarian that what you eat can really make a difference in how you feel. Getting rid of heavy meat made me feel more fresh and light, so I can only imagine what will happen if I actually am careful with carbs and sugar and such. So not to change anything on the outside or lose a million pounds, but to feel even better on the inside, I will be disciplined in what I eat.

I've never really been disciplined with my time. I can have a whole day and I waste it on the computer or something. I want to be able to use all my free time doing something valuable.

And finally, I've never been terribly bad at this, but I want to be disciplined when it comes to other people. As in, I want to learn to love completely, and not judge at all. I want to be able to do things for other people that they can't do for themselves, or even things that they can, just to show them I care.

So, there it is. A new year. A new Morgan.

8 comments:

Roberto Lerma said...

Discipline is the only reason I do things for lent, not religious reasons. I definitely approve of this for Morgan. You learn a lot about yourself.

Love,
Berto

Erin Jo said...

Ooooh that's a really nice thought morgan love. I support you in your goals! lol let me know if you need a work out buddy when you're here.

Grace Persson said...

Those goals sound awesome Morgan. It's makes me excited for the new year, and the new changes to come! Best of wishes with all of your disciplining. Disciplining can bring about much wisdom, so I guarantee that you will be blessed with new knowledge through all of this :) I'm going to think more about this for myself... taming of the tongue is one of the most difficult things.

Jeff Peteson said...

Hey hey hey hey!!! Is a day on the computer truly wasted if you're talking with a far off friend? Such as myself...and while these goals may be good and improve you know that I have always thought of you as a free spirit. Please don't let discipline ruin that, be carefull in how disciplined you become.

Neil said...

I never thought i would say this but i agree with jeff. weird. I'm down to exercise with you if you need a buddy. I've become far far far to lazy.
-neil

Morgan said...

don't worry. my freedom is still very precious to me too. and in a way this will increase it a little too. by allowing me to do a lot of things i want to do and cutting out some of the things that trap me or waste my time so that i can't do other things. that's all. and thank you Neil, i'll take you up on that. i think i'll be more motivated if someone will go with me.

Leticia Chase said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leticia Chase said...
This comment has been removed by the author.