Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Music and art.

Speaking of musicians who do their own album art (see previous post) I've been wanting to talk for a while about just how much I love Colin Meloy/The Decemberists/Colin's family.

First, I'm crazy about lyrics. I looooooove them. If they are really good of course. The music is important, yes, probably more important than lyrics. But when both of them are good is when you can count on me listening. Colin Meloy's lyrics are super, extremely, awesomely good if you like the fairy tale kind of thing. And even if you don't. Did you know his degree is in creative writing? I named one of my dorm room plants after him freshman year.

The entire album The Hazards of Love is a continuous story, which I just figured out a couple weeks ago and then had to listen to a bunch. I think the Crane Wife is too, but backwards?

Anyway, he has a little son named Henry. And his wife, Carson Ellis, does all of the album art as well as art for lots of other stuff. I love it so much. Keep it in the family, right?



















All images from Carson Ellis' website.

No comments: