Even if you haven't worked out in a while.
It's all mental, you see. Allow me to walk you through what goes on in my brain as I run. It ends up being quite easy. I run in intervals... 5 miles an hour for 3 minutes, and 8 miles and hour for 1 minute.
Minutes 1-3: "Ok... I've got a lot of running ahead of me, but I've done it before, so I know I'm capable."
Minute 4: First sprint. "Ah, this is nothing! I'm feeling so good."
Minutes 5-7: Daydream a little about being super fit.
Minute 8: Second sprint. Catch my reflection and that of the Asian guy on the treadmill next to me in the glass of the billboard. Feel proud of him and also a little bad that his legs are having to move much faster to run at 7 miles an hour than mine are at 8.
Minute 10: Take a full minute to praise myself for already being a third of the way through my run. Already! I can do what I just did two more times.
Minute 11: Woah, already time for sprint three! Got a little carried away with the self satisfaction ;)
Minutes 12-15: Excited that I'm almost halfway done.
Minute 16: Fourth sprint. I am now over half done with the sprints.
Minutes 17-19: I'm starting to really enjoy these 3 minutes of jogging as opposed to the sprinting. I mean really, they are so easy in comparison.
Minute 20: Ok, here's where you are going to laugh at me... By this time I'm starting to feel a little tired during the sprints. So. I start to repeat a cheer in my head from when I played basketball in high school. The cheer "Who rocks the house? We say the ______ rock the house, and when the ______ rock the house, they rock it all the way down!" when chanted in time with my steps takes about 10-12 seconds to say. So I start saying it about 3 times every sprint and then count down from 10 when I only have 10 seconds of sprinting left.
Minutes 21-23: "Yes! I'm already over two thirds done! Only one more sprint after this next one."
Minute 24: Second to last sprint. Woo! One more will be easy.
Minutes 25-27: Feeling really, really good. This is the last interval.
Minute 28: Want to run even faster right now, I'm so happy with myself.
Minute 29: Now I get a nice rewarding walk at 4 miles an hour.
Minute 30: Now down to 3.5 miles an hour. Soaking in the joy of my triumph.
And that's it! 2.8 miles in 30 minutes and time to sit and stretch. It really isn't hard when it's broken down into short pieces. Follow with crunches, pushups, etc.
I'm trying for an hour on Friday. Maybe. :)
3 comments:
Nice! Are you working out at the field house?
Wow. I'm very impressed. I think I would end up not being able to breathe after the first few minutes. Haha. But I guess it's the same with swimming with me. Self motivation and talking to yourself. haha
Oh Morgey. I love you. This I enjoyed reading. You are so cute :)
It gives me motivation.
<3
Post a Comment