Wednesday, January 20, 2010

olfactory.

I heard once that smells bring back memories more quickly and vividly than anything else. I'm thinking that this is probably true, but for me, it brings back more feelings I was having at the time of a certain smell than real scenes in my head. I find myself recently catching a hint of a scent on the air, and being overcome for only a second with a fleeting feeling... of what I can't say. It disappears so quickly and I can feel everything inside of me jolting forward in desperation to find the smell, the feeling, again as I flood my lungs with as much air as possible in a frenzied attempt to suck that lost moment in through my nose and keep it captured in my chest forever.

2 comments:

Britta Nystul said...

I totally get this.

Anonymous said...

Yay! A new post. :)