"Before she became ill, David's mother would often tell him that stories were alive. They weren't alive in the way that people were alive, or even dogs or cats. People were alive whether you chose to notice them or not, whild dogs tended to make you notice them if they decided that you weren't paying them enough attention. Cats, meanwhile, were very good at pretending people didn't exist at all when it suited them, but that was another matter entirely. Stories were different, though: they came alive in the telling. Without a human voice to read them aloud, or a pair of wide eyes following them by flashlight beneath a blanket, they had no real existence in our world. They were like seeds in the beak of a bird, waiting to fall to earth, or the notes of a song laid out on a sheet, yearning for an instrument to bring their music into being. They lay dormant, hoping for the chance to emerge. Once someone started to read them, they could begin to change. They could take root in the imagination, and transform the reader. Stories wanted to be read, David's mother would whisper. They needed it. it was the reason they forced themselves from their world into ours. They wanted us to give them life."
-The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
So life has been beautiful recently. I hiked up to the summit of Bald Mountain, completely on accident, and was amazed. The summit isn't too big, just some flat places to stand and some huge boulders. But I was higher than most of the mountains I could see around me, and when I looked down, the world surrounding me was so green, so full of life. A hazy blue seemed to lay over the whole forest, making a most serene picture, and there were so many lakes, all seeming to be so close to each other even though they were far away. When I looked down the mountain from where I stood, there were huge cliffs of crumbling rock, commanding fear and respect. I felt like I'd been placed on top and was viewing the world for the first time.
The rain has been just grand. Last Sunday was wonderful, I played and played and played in the rain until my hair was dripping in glorious tangled curls and my soaking clothes stuck to my skin. I laughed endlessly all afternoon.
My college schedule... since Mike put his up:
Calculus: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 9:40-10:30
Chemistry Lecture: Monday, Wednesday 11:50-1:10
Chemistry Discussion: Tuesday, Thursday 7:30-8:20
Chemistry Lab Lecture: Tuesday 8:35-9:25
Chemistry Lab: Thursday 12:55-3:55
Honors Humanities: Tuesday, Thursday 10:45-12:05
I don't even get to start my photography major until next year :( but things could be worse. I'm thinking of signing up for a one credit class like karate, or scuba diving, or ballroom dancing, just so I have time to relax, lol. We'll see.
I really, truly love you.

9 comments:
1. I love appreciating life and nature. It's so wonderful :) we need to go on a hike or something before we all go
2. You must like chemistry or something. Sounds like a fun schedule (compared to mine). Photography would be so amazing. You don't even know how much I secretely love photography and the idea of it. I wish I had taken classes
3. I love that picture. haha. And I'm not kidding
-Mike
oh morgan. you are so beautiful. and yes.. believe it or not, you are still the only one who has recieved cool status. yearbook days were awesome... will fur shure miss you in the photography department.. but you are going to make an amazing photographer :) i'm so happy for you :) p.s. if you have time this year.. could you take my senior pictures too? :) we'll see.. with that schedule, i don't expect to see you very much at all :( hard classes much? oh well.. you rock :) have a loverly day :)
Tishie
Photography is great. Where is Bald Mountain anyway? Is it around here, or is it by Kamas area? Maybe I'm just imagining things? Anyway, sounds like about how my schedule is for college. I don't get to start my major until next year either. So yeah, I know how you feel.
Love,
Berto
That's what I was thinking of when I said Kamas area....I've been to Mirror Lake and the forest there is pretty amazing. I bet the view was fantastic.
Love,
Berto
of course :) text, email.. anything.. anytime. i miss you too :( i loved talking to my morg-ey (and elise) during yearbook. p.s. you and grant are perfect together :) loves
Tish
oh so nice.
and your college schedule looks intense!
any time for natalie to come visit?!
sheesh!
morgan, i quite love you back. i miss you already... everything is just going too quickly. i just need some time...for the world to stop and we can have some nice hippie approved moments before you leave? ha ha anyways!!!
beautiful picture. i quite love it and you lots and lots!
oh morgey :) i love you lots :) i'm muy muy happy to be in your dorm :) lol. good luck being collegic. miss you already
Aww I loooove the hair! Morgan thank you for telling me that. I love you and feel SO much of God's love through you. I think of your sweet spirit all the time. It's a reminder of how I should be. I'm excited that you have a blog! I will be reading up on it :)
Looooove the hair. I think we're somewhat of kindered (is that the right word?) spirits.. :) I'm excited for Ute-Nited. Let's do double dates and stuff. Yeah?
Post a Comment