Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Local Harvest.

Hello lovelies!

I hope everything is well. Unfortunately I'm pretty sick this week, which is making it hard to do school work or much of anything really. Don't worry though, I deserve it! I've been bragging all winter about my immune system to the husbeard, since he drinks that Emergen-C stuff (that I really don't like!) and has been the one still getting sick. Anyway, things are a little hectic as I have midterms/critiques next week but will also be traveling to Oregon this weekend for the husbeard's grandmother's memorial service. Before I get back to work though, I wanted to share a rad website with you!

Local Harvest is an awesome website where you can search for farms, farmers markets, and even restaurants that focus on using local goods near you! Just enter your city or zip code and make it as general or specific as you want. I've really been enjoying learning what my community has to offer, and I've been trying to figure out some options for this summer. What do you think about the following?

Usually the husbeard and I spend around $50 a week between the two of us on groceries by clipping coupons and shopping on double sale ad Wednesdays at Sunflower Market. We have a roommate now too who contributes $25 a week and we now pick up groceries for 3. I've found a local farm where I can buy a summer vegetable share for two people (that I'm sure will cover three) for $450 for 18 weeks. To get fruit it's an extra $150 (but it isn't certified organic) To get eggs, cheese, honey, etc. just keep adding increments of around $125. Seems to be getting a little expensive right, especially since we'd still have to go to the store for bread, yogurt, etc.? I'd love to buy directly from a farm, but I'm not sure.


via

Another option is Bountiful Baskets, a kind of co-op where we wouldn't have to buy a whole summer share, but instead just buy weekly. It's only $25 for a week's worth of organic veggies, organic fruits, and sometimes bread and other goods for two (though I've talked to someone who has done it and they said you get quite a lot, so it should also cover three people). Then we could still go to the store for our other goods.

Of course I'll also have the option of just buying weekly at the downtown farmers market since I'm working on my goal of opening my own booth there. And there is always Sunflower, which tries its best to get local products too.

Sorry, that's a ton of information, but what do you think?? What would you do?

No comments: